Monday, May 21, 2007

The Blessings of Asbury Part IV: Conclusion

Asbury was a place where I met the Living God. I’m tempted to think that my faith in Christ, which I thought was very real before coming to Asbury, was not real at all. I feel like at Asbury God entered my heart. Before that, faith for me was more about assent to certain doctrinal truths (which is important) and not as much about a vital relationship with my Savior. My time at Asbury has made me much more aware of the presence of God and it has also taught me how radically God will change a person’s life if we allow Him to have control. I said to someone the other day that I feel like Asbury made me a man. I know that sounds funny. I was almost embarrassed to say it but I really believe that it’s true. There was a time when I sang the hymn “On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand,” and I wished that I could believe what I was singing. I believed that I had accepted Christ as my savior and I read the Bible and prayed daily but I didn’t trust Him enough for him to be a “solid rock” for me. Now that Christ has become this “solid rock” in my life, I find it easier to face many situations and I’m much less prone to depression and anxiety. My newfound trust in Christ has perhaps most importantly given me a new confidence. I have a confidence now that whatever might happen in my life, no matter how horrible it might be, the only thing that matters is that I am obedient to God. If I am seeking and serving Him then I have nothing to worry about. I believe that for the first time in my life and I revell in the awesome freedom that that confidence brings.

No comments: