Saturday, October 9, 2010

Spelunking


Last weekend I made it to the last location I had planned to see while at Ft. Bliss. I headed out to Carlsbad Caverns on Saturday but upon arrival found that the elevators were malfunctioning and they weren't letting anyone down. I elected to stay in Carlsbad, New Mexico with the hope of seeing the caverns the next day. I was disappointed not to be back in El Paso for church on Sunday as I had been very blessed to worship at the Anglican Church of St. Clement on my first Sunday in the city and had hoped to return there. But on Sunday they were allowing people to hike in and out of the caverns as the elevators were still not working. I was not disappointed by what I saw upon descending 750 ft below the ground.

The entrance to the caverns

Carlsbad Caverns

Ansel Adams described the caverns more eloquently than I ever could. He described the caverns as, "something that should not exist in relation to human beings. Something that is as remote as the galaxy, incomprehensible as a nightmare, and beautiful in spite of everything."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, these picture are amazing as usual. Thanks for sharing! Happy that you got the chance to do that and check it off your to-do list. Seems like you've been having many enriching experiences while there. God bless you and continue to keep you safe.
~A.J.

Undergroundpewster said...

I remember my trip to Carlsbad as a child. Forget the elevator, the hike is highly recommended.