Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Organ Mountains/White Sands


On Saturday I took advantage of another weekend off and headed up into southern New Mexico. In the morning I drove through Las Cruces to the Organ Mountains and hiked about 3.5 miles up to Baylor Pass. Interestingly, this pass was used by Confederate cavalry in 1862. At the pass I bush-whacked my way about halfway up Baylor Peak. My plan had been to summit it but after being stuck by some cholla and realizing my time was running short to get to the second location I wanted to make it to I decided to head back down.

The views of the Organ Mountains above Baylor Pass were pretty awesome. I also had a good view of the city of Las Cruces.

After the Organ Mountains I headed to White Sands National Monument. It is very unique and beautiful place with rolling almost white sand dunes composed of gypsum.


The sunset at White Sands was an impressive sight.


3 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

How much water did you carry?

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

I'll try not to say anything too matronly today;) However, I hope you will allow some sisterly words of encouragement.

I know that being alone in a strange city away from friends and family is hard. I hope that El Paso is not too lonely. Remember, brother Matthew, that God loves you. He is mindful of all the good you are striving to do.
This too, shall pass.

Love from

Scarlet Pimpernel

Matt said...

Hey U.P., welcome to my blog. I took 2 liters of H2O with me. I usually end up with too much but hate being thirsty on the hike back to my car.

Hey S.P.,

Thanks for the word of encouragement. I'm actually enjoying my time in El Paso quite a bit but it is always tough being away from friends who constantly remind me of the gospel.

Matt