Thursday, September 17, 2009

Blog-rage


I don't get road rage. Usually when I'm in the car with someone who does I get this feeling of superiority thinking that I'm above such pointless anger. I rarely even get angry. But on the blogosphere, in posts and in comments, I've noticed that I can be very rude and really come off as a jerk. Since I started blogging back in 2006 this phenomenon has often vexed me. I'll write a post or leave a comment and a few minutes or hours later I find myself wondering why I would write such a thing in such a way. It's not that I begin to doubt whether the thought I was expressing was true, it's just that I realize that I expressed it in the most obnoxious way possible or perhaps that I should have just not said anything at all. It's times when I've come to such realizations that I've been strongly tempted just to delete this blog. But it hasn't happened yet and probably won't in the near future. I had nothing to blog about so I figured I'd blog about this. If I've been a jerk to you on the blogosphere I'm sorry and I promise I'm nicer in person.

4 comments:

robroy said...

Great book. The excerpt reminded me of a quote that John Patrick MD (who frequently speaks at CMDA meetings) introduced to me:

"It becomes every man who purposes to give himself to the care of others, seriously to consider the four following things:-First, that he must one day give an account to the Supreme Judge of all the lives entrusted to his care. Secondly, that all his skill, and knowledge, and energy as they have been given him by God, so they should be exercised for His glory, and the good of mankind, and not for mere gain or ambition. Thirdly, and not more beautifully than truly, let him reflect that he has undertaken the care of no mean creature, for, in order that he may estimate the value, the greatness of the human race, the only begotten Son of God became himself a man, and thus ennobled it with His divine dignity, and far more than this, died to redeem it. And fourthly, that the doctor being himself a mortal man, should be diligent and tender in relieving his suffering patients, inasmuch as he himself must one day be a like sufferer."
Thomas Sydenham (1642-1689)

(Definitely worthy of printing a small copy and keeping in your wallet!)

pax,

Anonymous said...

Sometimes just speaking the truth has a sting to it, and there really IS no way to soften it. Keep blogging, Matt.

Undergroundpewster said...

These are normal healthy thoughts. It is always a challenge to think these thoughts before we speak, comment, blog, etc.

What was it James 3:1-12 had to say about the tongue last week????

Important words for the physician to heed as well.

Matt said...

Thanks to all three of you. Wow, that's a great quote robroy, I may have to turn it into a blog post!