Monday, February 4, 2008

The Joy of Thanksgiving

Okay, I know, I know, - it's February and Thanksgiving is in November but something hit me today as I walked out of my anatomy and histology midterms. The exams went well and as I walked to my car I quietly sang a hymn of thanks and praise to God. And I realized that it is a great blessing to have Someone to thank. If I were an Atheist I guess I could find some happiness in feeling lucky or something but it seems like something would be truly missing not to be able to praise God for the blessings of this life. I had read someone else saying the same thing before, that they felt sorry for Atheists because they couldn't be thankful to God. For some reason when I first read that it didn't make much of an impact on me but today it just hit me for some reason.

Of course, the hard part is being thankful even when things don't go well. Not being a Calvinist, I think that things happen in reality that are truly contrary to the will of God. I don't think that God willed horrendous evils like the holocaust to take place. So I think 'giving thanks' for the holocaust would be wrong. But I think that as Christians we should always be able to give thanks. When the very reality of our existence is that we are sinners saved and redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb, I don't see how we can be anything but thankful in all situations.

No comments: