Monday, January 23, 2012

What of it?


One of my favorite movies is the 2003 "Luther," starring Joseph Fiennes. One of my favorite lines from the movie comes from Luther preaching in the Wittenburg church. I had assumed that the makers of the film may have taken some artisitic license in creating this sermon. But it turns out that some of the words come directly from a letter written by Martin Luther to his friend, Jerome Weller, in 1530. Here is the excellent quote for your edification:
When the devil throws our sins up to us and declares we deserve death and hell, we ought to speak thus: 
“I admit that I deserve death and hell. 
What of it? 
Does this mean that I shall be sentenced to eternal damnation? 
By no means. 
For I know One who suffered and made a satisfaction in my behalf. 
His name is Jesus Christ, the Son of God. 
Where he is, there I shall be also.”
-Martin Luther, h/t Justin Taylor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Matt. I too love that sermon and thought it could very well be a sermon made up by the makers of the movie but...
It is so Luther.
Hope to see you some day when you get time off.
Pastor Ron

Matt said...

Pastor Ron,
Yep, definitely Luther. Look forward to hearing you preach in person sometime in the next couple of weeks. I've been listening to a few sermons on the website while not having Sundays off. God bless you and your family brother.
Matt

Norah said...

Indeed. What of it! What a great response to that old accuser :-).