Saturday, June 18, 2011

12 Ways to Glorify God at Work


A good word from Josh Etter at Desiring God about glorifying God at work. As I look forward with some anxiety to the new job I have before me, the thing that most relieves my anxiety is the knowledge that God will be using me for His glory here. That knowledge can make any work seem bearable and worthwhile. Here's the beginning of Josh's blog post:

Mark Twain once said, "Work is a necessary evil to be avoided." Although there may be days when we feel like he got it right, we know God has ordained work as a stewardship of his created world (Genesis 1:28; 2:15). He has designed work for his glory and our good. But how might we glorify God at work? This list is not exhaustive, but here's at least 12 ways...

Read the rest here:

12 Ways to Glorify God at Work


2 comments:

Josh Monen said...

Hey Matt - I hope your new job is gong well. I like that quote by Josh Etter, especially when he said, "God has ordained work as a stewardship of his created world." I agree.

I also believe there is a difference between toil and work. Many people echo Mark Twain's statement that work (toil) is a necessary evil but as children of God I think we should be singing a different tune.

It's far too easy for me to compartmentalize my life. Ministry over here and work over there. But I don't think that's the best way to live. It's a challenge for me not to have such distinct boundaries in my life but I'm excited to see those lines blur.

Matt said...

Hey bro,
I think blurring those lines (work and ministry) is one of the things that helps me cope with being kind of stressed right now about work. If I go into it with the knowledge and expectation that God is going to use me here to minister then it makes things much more bearable.

Thanks for the comment and hope to see you again soon.