Friday, March 19, 2010

All we have to decide


Over on Titusonenine, a blog I read almost daily, there is a discussion going on about dealing with difficult circumstances where Kendall Harmon, the writer of that blog, makes reference to a J.R.R. Tolkien quote. With interest I read the comments and saw that one of the commenters quoted my favorite lines from the trilogy. Speaking of a seemingly impossible task before him, the main character laments his situation:
'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.

'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'
I have often thought of those lines when I've been tempted to despair about a difficult situation. I know that nothing that happens in my life happens apart from God's sovereign will and, looking at Christ and His cross, I also know that He loves me. That knowledge should bring me to the place of not fretting about my situation but seeking God's will and deciding to do it. This quote reminds me of that.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

I was surprised when you didn't post on St. Patrick's Day, you must have had a very grueling week.

I confess, I never read Tolkien, so my reply may not be completely relevant, but I will offer what I can.
'Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.' Romans 15:13

~Scarlet Pimpernel

Matt said...

Hey S.P.,
I thought about posting something for St. Patrick's and yes it has been a grueling week. I posted something last year though. Also, thanks for the verse - I'm continually praying prayers similar to that as I often don't feel "abounding in hope."

Matt

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I didn't mean to chide, I'm sorry it came off that way. Heaven only knows everything I missed when I was in school. I've told you before how impressed I am by your diligence.

~S.P. (since you insist)

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother! It is so easy to fret about things and feel discontent or uneasy about circumstances, instead of sitting back and remembering that He is God and totally in control. Stay strong Matt, keeping you in my prayers. ~A.J.

Matt said...

Thanks A.J.!