Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ashes


Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
-Job 42:6

Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's journey. And he called out, "Yet forty days, and Ninevah shall be overthrown!" And the people of Ninevah believed God. They called for a fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them to the least of them. The word reached the king of Ninevah, and he arose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. (Jonah 3:4-6) [above image is Gustave Dore's Jonah Preaching to the Ninevites]

2 comments:

Jane said...

What a wonderful day it will be when the Church responds to God's call to repent and turn back to the unity that Jesus prayed.

I wonder if the quakes you experienced have "jostled" anyone's commitment to the One who quakes the mountains? God moved the Ninevites!

We are in the Seattle area and trying to plant an Anglican church. Haven't been called to give Jonah's message, though it would be so great to see God work as directly as He did in Nineveh.

Matt said...

Hi Jane,
I've wondered that too about these quakes.
May God bless your endeavor in Seattle. Maybe I'll have to come visit your church someday if I get a residency up there. I have a rotation at Ft. Lewis over the summer and that's where I'd like to end up.